This weekend, Brooke's friend from Waco is visiting. Like any good hosts, we have taken it upon ourselves to make sure she has a fantastic time on Lanai. Very self-sacrificing of us, I know. Brooke swapped out Bubs for a Jeep, and we went off-roading yesterday afternoon and today. I have to tell you about the place we visited this afternoon, because it is my new favorite spot on Lanai. I would live there if I could.
After a steep decent down a treacherous road this afternoon, we arrived at Kaunolu.

Kaunolu is a summer fishing village built and used by King Kamehameha I, and the ruins of buildings are all over the hillsides and beach. After reading the warning signs about steep climbs, we descended onto the beach, and took in the majestic mountain cliffs, sweeping waves, and tidepools. The picture on the right is what I first saw when we climbed down to the beach. It was beautiful and deserted. We could have been the only visitors this week, for all I know, and it's an amazing feeling to be somewhere so utterly isolated and breathtaking. Like you're glimpsing a secret place meant only for God's eyes. Feeling nimble, we hopped around on the rocks for a while, and eventually decided to climb up the opposite slope of the canyon.
The view that greeted us from atop the rocks was by far the most awe-inspiring I have seen on Lanai. And I thought this island couldn't get more beautiful. Ha! We hiked over to a place called "Kahekili's Leap".

It's a place where the rocks give way to a platform 70 feet above the ocean. I ventured (hesitantly) to the edge of the cliff, only to look out over a sweeping scene of Lanai coastline--complete with aqua blue waters, a remote rock grotto, and cliffs 100's of feet high. As I sat with my legs dangling over the side, I thought about Kamheameha's warriors who had jumped from this very ledge to prove their loyalty, and lost their lives in the process. What a test of courage! I could have sat there forever. But we had other
sights to see.


We hiked over to a point overlooking the tidepools, with powerful waves yawning back-and-forth over the rocks.

Just beyond the point, one of the girls spotted two humpback whales lazily making their way across the water, with tails flipping through the air. I was stuck by God's creativity, which I can't even fully comprehend.
Today was just what I needed--a reminder of God's greatness and my human smallness. I feel blessed to be on Lanai, no matter what has gone on in the past few weeks. I know that God is at work here, and I can't wait to see what he will do next!
This is amazing! The water is so incredibly blue and the sights are beautiful! Thank you for sharing, Lake Waco is not quite the same as the Pacific...
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed with what you are able to see and describe so well. I know God is at work in you.............love you, Gma
ReplyDelete