We headed to her house around 12, and she began pulling jar after jar out of the fridge. Our assignment was to bring lunch meat, so we showed up with deli turkey, and added it to the growing pile on the counter. She then told us how to doctor our hamburger buns with wasabi mayo and mustard. We went down the line adding meant, cheese, pickles, jalapenos, and olives to our sandwiches, making sure that nothing overflowed from the buns. As we finished assembling our sandwiches, she pulled a crazy-looking metal contraption out of the cupboard (see below), led us outside to the barbeque, and fired up the grill. She added butter to the metal, and squished our sanwich in between, roasting it for about 10 minutes until it was crispy and browned. This, my friends, is a traditional Cuban disco (pronounced "dees-co") sandwich, and it was to DIE for! Soooo good, and so much fun to make!
Even better than the food was the company. We sat on the front porch talking story for a few hours, and finally left around 3:30. It was an afternoon well-spent. I love hearing peoples' stories and sharing life with them. I hope I never forget that as I get older. The best thing I can offer someone is to do life with them, and to do it well.
Dear Brianna................I really love these personal stories of your HI adventure. Love you, Gma
ReplyDelete